The LIPS! Each summer, millions of us remember to get the sunscreen and to moisturize our face, body and limbs. YET, the same millions take our lips for granted. This common mistake leads to short-range and long-range issues because we fail to adequately protect our lips.
Sun damage to lips can cause a host of problems:
- Sun intensity decreases the natural collagen found in your lips. Overtime, your nice pouty, “bee stung” lips become thin as time passes.
- Lack of collagen from over-exposure to the sun causes deep wrinkles on the lips AND around the mouth!
- In the most severe cases, sun over-exposure can alter how one speaks.
- Sun causes Actinic cheilitis, marked by cracking and dryness of the lips, as well as the formation of wrinkles.
- The bright sun is a main cause of cold sores! The sun removes moisture from the lips, causing cracking, providing a path for the herpes virus to enter lips and the mouth.
- Skin Cancer! According to the Mayo Clinic,
“Ultraviolet (UV) rays are the most important risk factor when it comes to skin cancer — UV rays are associated with 90 percent of all nonmelanoma skin cancers (NMSC) says the Skin Cancer Foundation (SCF). Lips have no melanin, which makes them more susceptible to sun damage cause by UV exposure. Signs of sun damage on the lips develop overtime as a result of excessive sun exposure over the years.”
OKAY! Do we have your attention yet?
Taking care of your lips is fundamental and essential to summer skin care. And, it is relatively easy to do, and inexpensive. First, drink lots of water. Keep your body hydrated for your skin and your lips. Then, invest in a good lip balm. There are many on the market, such as Banana Boat Sport Performance Lip Balm, but these products contain harsh chemicals such as polyethelene, petrolatum, trimethylsiloxyphenyl, isopropyl myristate, to just name a few of over a dozen chemicals.
Esthetician Jaque Hart states, “Lips take alot of abuse. They lack the attention and protection that the rest of our summer skin enjoys. Summer time can really take a toll on lips. In fact, lips have almost no melanin, which helps screen out the sun’s harmful rays. As a result, lips rarely tan, but they can easily burn. Be kind to your pout with jane iredale Lip Drink. A translucent lip balm. It is an SPF of 15, UVB/UVA broad spectrum. It combines titanium dioxide, carrot seed oil and avocado oil, for a protective sheild.”
Spa LaDonna recommends Jane Iredale Lip Drink, with organic ingredients like seed oil, lotus flower, green tea leaf extract, coconut alkanes, blackberry fruit extract and lemon peel oil. And, a tube only costs $12.00, and will more than last the entire summer! Studies have found that popular over-the-counter brands exaggerate the SPF as well, but the jane iredale brand labels the correct SPF coverage! And jane iredale‘s products are free from animal testing too!
You can purchase jane iredale at Spa LaDonna at the counter, or order easily online (with free shipping) for delivery to your home or office! You can follow this link to purchase online!